Web of Science: 11 citations, Scopus: 11 citations, Google Scholar: citations,
Molecular detection of vector-borne pathogens in blood and splenic samples from dogs with splenic disease
Movilla, Rebeca (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. Hospital Clínic Veterinari)
Altet, Laura (Vetgenomics. Parc de Recerca)
Serrano, Lorena (Vetgenomics. Parc de Recerca)
Tabar, María-Dolores (Hospital Veterinario San Vicente de Alicante)
Roura, Xavier (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. Hospital Clínic Veterinari)

Date: 2017
Abstract: The spleen is a highly perfused organ involved in the immunological control and elimination of vector-borne pathogens (VBP), which could have a fundamental role in the pathogenesis of splenic disease. This study aimed to evaluate certain VBP in samples from dogs with splenic lesions. Seventy-seven EDTA-blood and 64 splenic tissue samples were collected from 78 dogs with splenic disease in a Mediterranean area. Babesia spp. , Bartonella spp. , Ehrlichia/Anaplasma spp. , Hepatozoon canis, Leishmania infantum, hemotropic Mycoplasma spp. and Rickettsia spp. were targeted using PCR assays. Sixty EDTA-blood samples from dogs without evidence of splenic lesions were included as a control group. More than half (51. 56%) of the biopsies (33/64) were consistent with benign lesions and 48. 43% (31/64) with malignancy, mostly hemangiosarcoma (25/31). PCR yielded positive results in 13 dogs with spleen alterations (16. 67%), for Babesia canis (n = 3), Babesia gibsoni (n = 2), hemotropic Mycoplasma spp. (n = 2), Rickettsia massiliae (n = 1) and "Babesia vulpes" (n = 1), in blood; and for B. canis, B. gibsoni, Ehrlichia canis and L. infantum (n = 1 each), in spleen. Two control dogs (3. 3%) were positive for B. gibsoni and H. canis (n = 1 each). Benign lesions were detected in the 61. 54% of infected dogs (8/13); the remaining 38. 46% were diagnosed with malignancies (5/13). Infection was significantly associated to the presence of splenic disease (P = 0. 013). There was no difference in the prevalence of infection between dogs with benign and malignant splenic lesions (P = 0. 69); however B. canis was more prevalent in dogs with hemangiosarcoma (P = 0. 006). VBP infection could be involved in the pathogenesis of splenic disease. The immunological role of the spleen could predispose to alterations of this organ in infected dogs. Interestingly, all dogs with B. canis infection were diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma in the present survey. As previously reported, results support that VBP diagnosis could be improved by analysis of samples from different tissues. The sample size included here warrants further investigation. The online version of this article (doi:10. 1186/s13071-017-2074-z) contains supplementary material, which is available to authorized users.
Rights: Aquest document està subjecte a una llicència d'ús Creative Commons. Es permet la reproducció total o parcial, la distribució, la comunicació pública de l'obra i la creació d'obres derivades, fins i tot amb finalitats comercials, sempre i quan es reconegui l'autoria de l'obra original. Creative Commons
Language: Anglès
Document: article ; recerca ; Versió publicada
Subject: Canine ; Vector-borne disease ; Spleen ; Polymerase chain reaction ; Hemangiosarcoma ; Babesia canis
Published in: Parasites & vectors, Vol. 10 (March 2017) , art. 131, ISSN 1756-3305

DOI: 10.1186/s13071-017-2074-z
PMID: 28285583

8 p, 412.4 KB

The record appears in these collections:
Articles > Research articles
Articles > Published articles

 Record created 2018-02-08, last modified 2021-05-30

   Favorit i Compartir