Web of Science: 6 cites, Scopus: 7 cites, Google Scholar: cites,
Predictors of biologic treatment of psoriasis : a non-interventional study
Puig Sanz, Lluís (Institut d'Investigació Biomèdica Sant Pau)
Fan, Tao (Merck and Co. Global Health Outcomes)
Ding, Qian (Merck and Co. Global Health Outcomes)
Smith, Nancy E (Merck and Co. Global Health Outcomes)
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona

Data: 2014
Resum: Biologic therapies represent a significant advance in the treatment of psoriasis. However, no studies have examined the patient characteristics predictive of biologic treatment of psoriasis. The purpose of this study was to ascertain the frequency and predictors of treatment of psoriasis with biologics in three European countries, ie, France, Spain, and the UK. This was a cross-sectional analysis of physician-recorded demographic and clinical data on patients receiving either conventional or biologic treatments for psoriasis. Data were drawn from the Adelphi 2007 Psoriasis Disease Specific Program (DSP®), a multinational, real-world survey of patients with psoriasis consulting practicing dermatologists. The numbers of patients treated with biologic and nonbiologic agents were recorded. Data were subjected to bivariate analysis according to treatment regimen (biologic versus nonbiologic). Predictors of treatment with biologics were identified by logistic regression analysis. A total of 2,509 psoriasis patients were included in this study (1,374 from France, 561 from Spain, and 574 from the UK). Biologic use was most prevalent in Spain (19. 4% of patients), followed by the UK (9. 1%), and France (8. 4%). In the logistic regression analysis, psoriatic arthritis was a statistically significant predictor of increased biologic use in France (odds ratio [OR] 5. 38, 95% confidence interval [CI] 3. 32-8. 77), Spain (OR 2. 71, 95% CI 1. 16-6. 33), and the UK (OR 8. 70, 95% CI 3. 65-20. 83). Physician-assessed moderate-to-severe disease was also a statistically significant predictor of increased biologic use in France (OR 5. 08, 95% CI 2. 01-12. 82), Spain (OR 11. 11, 95% CI 4. 33-28. 57), and the UK (OR 8. 55, 95% CI 1. 11-66. 67). In this study, an average of about one tenth of psoriasis patients enrolled in Spain, France, and the UK were treated with biologics in 2007. Physician-assessed moderate-to-severe disease and presence of psoriatic arthritis were significantly associated with biologic use in all three countries.
Drets: Aquest document està subjecte a una llicència d'ús Creative Commons. Es permet la reproducció total o parcial, la distribució, la comunicació pública de l'obra i la creació d'obres derivades, sempre que no sigui amb finalitats comercials, i sempre que es reconegui l'autoria de l'obra original. Creative Commons
Llengua: Anglès
Document: Article ; recerca ; Versió publicada
Matèria: Psoriasis ; Drug therapy ; Tumor necrosis factor-alpha ; Antagonists ; Inhibitors ; Dermatologic agents ; Therapeutic use
Publicat a: ClinicoEconomics and outcomes research, Vol. 6 (february 2014) , p. 93-100, ISSN 1178-6981

DOI: 10.2147/CEOR.S54797
PMID: 24600238


8 p, 307.5 KB

El registre apareix a les col·leccions:
Documents de recerca > Documents dels grups de recerca de la UAB > Centres i grups de recerca (producció científica) > Ciències de la salut i biociències > Institut d'Investigació Biomèdica Sant Pau
Articles > Articles de recerca
Articles > Articles publicats

 Registre creat el 2018-01-29, darrera modificació el 2022-01-02



   Favorit i Compartir